Welcome to Chichester International’s Online Preparation Guide

Frequently Asked Questions

Most International Students need a visa to study in the UK. You can use this Home Office Check if you need a visa function to find out if you need a visa.
If you do not already have permission to remain in the UK, you must apply for a student visa or a visitor visa to study at University of Chichester. The type and length of the course affects the type of visa you need. To help you understand what type of visa you require, please refer to our “Which Visa?” Flowchart.
If you need a Student Route visa, you will need a CAS before you can apply for your visa. You need to meet your offer conditions, pay a deposit, complete a CAS request form and attend a CAS eligibility interview (if applicable), before you get your CAS. We normally start issuing CASs 3 months prior to the course start date. Please visit our visa and immigration website for more information.
Chichester International Advice is here to advice and support you with your visa application. Please email if you have questions about the application process, how to complete the online application form or supporting documents.
Only postgraduate students on courses longer than 9 months long and government sponsored student on courses longer than 6 months long, can bring dependants with them. Please visit UKCISA website for more information on this topic.
If you successfully complete your studies and apply for the Graduate Route visa in the UK before your student visa expires, you should be able to apply. More information on this visa route and the eligibility criteria is available on our website.
Most undergraduate students start their studies on the 25th of September 2023. Your start date might be different if you a postgraduate, nursing, or a Musical Theatre student. To find out your start date, please visit the course and semester dates document on our website.
If your course is longer than 6 months long, you can arrive up to one month before the start date of your course. Please note that our Halls of Residence accommodation may not be ready at this point, and arriving too early can make you feel a little bit isolated. Most students will be arriving around 22nd -24th September 2023.
Your course start and end date are stated on the CAS. You should always arrive by the start date of your course. The latest arrival date on the CAS is the latest possible date to start your studies only if you have contacted us and asked for late arrival authorisation. We do not recommend arriving late as it puts you at a disadvantage with your studies. The only reason we can authorise a late arrival is if your visa application is delayed. In this situation you must email to get advice on late arrival authorisation.
We do not offer an airport pick-up service, but you can find information about using public transport on our Be Prepared website. If you need help with booking a taxi from the airport, you can contact the Chichester International Advice ( for recommended local taxi companies.
You should plan to arrive during the accommodation welcome weekend. You will receive a warm welcome from our Students Union and accommodation team.

All International students living in the halls of residence accommodation received a bedding pack . The pack includes a duvet, pillows, sheets, towels etc. 

Moodle is our Virtual Learning platform that all academic departments and professional services staff use to post information and resources. Your module (course) information, reading lists and weekly learning sessions will be available via Moodle and you are advised to access your Moodle account regularly in order to be successful in your studies.
Chiview is your online student record. You can register onto your course, edit your details, find your results, print letters and make payments via Chiview. See more information on our help page.
Most of our undergraduate students start their studies with a Welcome week on the 25th of September 2023. You should check your offer letter to see what the start date of your programme is, as it may be different if you are on a postgraduate, nursing or musical theatre course.
You will start your studies with your departmental welcome week, which is also called an induction week. Welcome programmes are usually available at the beginning of September. To find your welcome week programme, please log into Chiview portal or contact to request a copy via email.
Your study timetable will be available after the welcome week. Your welcome week timetable will be posted on your Applicant Chiview portal and the academic department will explain, during the welcome week, how you can find your timetable for the rest of the year via Chiview or Moodle.
Around the beginning of September, you will be invited to register online, and by completing this process you will create your IT account. If you can’t remember your IT log in details after creating your IT account, you can contact or visit for instructions and videos.

The weather in Britain can be unpredictable. It can rain on any day of the year, but there are also many sunny days. Bognor Regis and Chichester are the sunniest places in the UK! The temperature does not often drop below zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit), but the dampness can make it seem colder in the winter and humid in the summer. The warmest months are June, July and August and the coldest usually December, January and February.

Tip from a current student: It is a good idea to carry an umbrella with you at all times. You never know when you might need it, especially in the winter months.

University of Chichester International Students studying at degree level are usually allowed to work 20 hours per week during term-time and full-time during vacations. Visit our website for more information on this topic. Top tip: Our Careers and Employability team is here to help you plan your career and to help you find part-time employment while you study with us. Get in touch via
When you start working you will need an NI number. The NI number application is simple. You need to complete a short online application form, which will ask you some questions about your personal circumstances and you will be asked to post some documents to verify your identity. If you need any help with this the International Student Advisers can assist you.
Changing your course may be possible, but you must speak to your academic adviser and the International Advice team, before you can change your course. Sometimes you may have to apply for a new visa before you can change your course and you may have to leave the UK to apply for your new visa.
When adjusting to a new environment you may experience something called “culture shock”. This is a normal part of an adjustment process. It is a good idea to read about this topic in advance, so that you can notice the signs of culture shock and know when you might need help. Please visit the UKCISA website for more information. You can contact the International Student Advisers or the Student Support and Wellbeing Team if you need support with adjusting to your new surroundings.

Most students, international and UK students, will feel homesick at some point and it is perfectly normal feeling to have. Make sure you stay in touch with your friends and family back home, but also do your best to make friends and participate in activities in your new location. This will help foster a sense of belonging and will help manage homesickness. The Wellbeing team and the International Advice team are here to support you if you feel overwhelmed and need someone to talk to.

Tip from a previous student: Bring your favourite food/ingredients from home. It is not always easy to find food you are used to using and having them with you can make a big difference when you are missing something familiar from home. It is also nice to share your country’s culture and cuisine with others.

It is important to look after your mental health and we have a student wellbeing team here to advice you and refer you to external services so that you can get the support you need. Please see page 33 of our International Pre-arrival Guide on how to declare your mental health conditions and how to put support in place in advance of your arrival.
If you have a disability or any additional need for which you require support or special arrangements, please let us know in advance, so that we can help you plan your time here with us. All personal information will be treated as strictly confidential and will not affect the decision about your eligibility for the course. Please see our website for more information.
Our current tuition fee policy states that you can pay your fees in one instalment at the beginning of your studies or in two equal instalments – first instalment at the beginning of semester one and the second instalment at the beginning of semester two.
Accommodation fees are payable in three instalments. 40% at the beginning of your studies, 40% in January and 20% in April. Payment plans must be set up via your Chiview account. More information is available on our website.

We offer Global Merit Scholarships to students from certain countries. Please see full details on our website.

We also have a Gifted Athlete Support Programme. Please see more information on this website.

Our Money Advisers ( would be happy to meet with you to help you plan your budget for your studies in the UK. They can also give you helpful tips on discounts, and cheaper shopping habits/locations.
The University of Chichester is an international place of education where you will find people of most faiths and also those of none. We try in many ways to meet your needs in all areas of life, including religious belief and special dietary requirements due to religious beliefs. We have a Chapel on Bishop Otter Campus where Christian worship takes place. There is also a prayer room on each campus which is open to people of any faith to use for individual prayer and meditation. Please get in touch with our Chaplain ( who would be happy to hear from you if you need someone to talk to or if you would like to find out more about local faith communities. Please visit the chaplaincy webpage for more information on World Faiths and Places of Worship near Chichester/ Bognor Regis.

You may need a letter from the University for various reasons. It may be to prove your student status, your address or that you can work. Please see a list of the most common letter requests we receive and instructions for how to get your letter.

Bank letter: Log into Chiview, search for a “printable documents” tile. You will need to know your bank’s address and include it on the letter. The letter will be signed and appears as a PDF document and you should print it in colour.

You can print a bank letter via Chiview, once you have registered and visited Registry with your original ID documents.

Council tax* exemption letter (students who live outside Chichester/Bognor Regis): If you live in the local area, the University confirms your student status directly to the local council. If you live further away and need a council tax exemption letter please contact You should also make sure you inform your local council that you are a student by completing their online form.

*What is council tax? Visit UKCISA website to find out more.

Student Status letters (September starters) – log in to Chiview and print your letter via “printable documents”. You can print a student status letter with our without your term-time address. The letter will be signed and appears as a PDF document.

Student Status letters (January/Summer starters) – If you start your studies outside our standard semester star dates and can’t see a “printable documents” tile on your Chiview record, please contact to request a letter.

Schengen visa letter: If you need a student status letter in order to apply for a Schengen visa, please email More information about the Schengen visa application process is available on our website.

Letter for your employer (Student Route visa holders): Email This letter will confirm that you are a student and includes a sentence about Student Route visa holders being able to work part-time during term-time and full-time during vacations.

Letter confirming your term dates (if you want to work full-time during vacations): Email to request this.

There are eight public holidays in the UK known as ‘Bank Holidays’ when offices, banks, and many shops will be closed, and public transport will be more limited. Check the dates of bank holidays online.
You will normally have two official holiday periods during the academic year: Winter Break (Christmas break) and Spring Break (Easter Break). Please check the semester dates section on the website to see our full course and semester dates information.
The University is usually closed, and staff are not working during the Winter Break closure, which is normally about 1-2 weeks. During the Spring Break, the University remains open as usual, although there are no lectures, and some staff may take annual leave.
You can stay in your room during holidays, but you may not be entitled to your usual food allowance (if you live in catered accommodation). You should check with the accommodation team when you may need to consider buying and cooking your own food.
If your friend or relative is a non-UK/Irish national, they may need to enter the UK under the Visitor route. Some nationalities can enter the UK without applying for a visa in advance, but other nationalities have to apply for a Visitor visa before leaving home (these national are called ‘Visa Nationals’). You can check which category they belong to by visiting the UK government website. You will need to write an invitation letter and include your student status letter (printable via Chiview) as evidence of your status in the UK. Please see more information on this topic on the International Advice Moodle page.

Search BePrepared

Please enter your search term below (i.e. “Visa” or “Accommodation”)