Welcome to Chichester International’s Online Preparation Guide

How do I open a bank account in the UK?

Using a bank account is the safest and most effective way of managing your money and making or receiving payments, so you should open a bank account once you arrive in the UK. You’ll need a UK bank account for day-to-day transactions like purchases, withdrawing money and paying bills by direct debit. Opening your account may take up to three weeks, so make sure you have access to money you’ll need during this period.

If you are on a course that lasts longer than 6 months, you can open a UK bank account once you have fully registered onto your course. Full registration means that you complete your online registration process via Chiview and visit the Student Records office for an ID check (passport and visa check).

To open a bank account, you will need a letter of introduction from the university. You can print this letter via Chiview once you have fully registered onto your course. In addition to the letter, you will need your passport and your BRP (visa), if you have one, when you open your bank account.

Steps you need to take to open a bank account:

Step 1

Register onto your course online & visit registry (University House, Bishop Otter Campus) for an in-person ID check so that you are fully registered.

Step 2

Decide which bank you would like to bank with. It is a good idea to do some research on UK banks before committing to opening an account with one of them. Some banks offer good deals while others charge high fees for international students. You should also consider how easy it is for you to visit the bank, what services they offer in the branch or online and whether there are any monthly or overdraft charges you should be aware of.

Step 3

Log into your Chiview account, find printable documents > bank letter > Add bank’s address and print in colour.


Step 4

Apply online or visit the bank to book an appointment.

Useful tips:

HSBC does not like our standard bank letters that state the non-UK home address. If you wish to bank with HSBC, please email to ask for a letter.

Please note that to open a bank account you will need a bank letter from the University and your passport and sometimes your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

Useful Resources

Search BePrepared

Please enter your search term below (i.e. “Visa” or “Accommodation”)