Welcome to Chichester International’s Online Preparation Guide

How Much Money Do I Need?

How much money you need will depend on your needs and personal lifestyle. The ‘composite living costs’ are £115 per week for students living in the South East. This includes your rent, food, power and entertainment. You will have to consider additional costs such as books, clothing and printing that amount to about £500 per year (minimum).

British Council Cost of Studying and Living in the UK information 

Money and Student Route Regulations

If you are a Student Route Visa Holder, you are expected to have £1,023 per month for living costs, in addition to having money to pay your tuition fees, and you may need to show that you have this money in your bank account when you apply for your visa. The Home Office (UKVI) expect you to be able to meet the cost of living in the UK without having to work or access public funds while you are studying in the UK.

What funding is available to international students?

US Federal Aid (FAFSA)

If you are an US national you may be able to apply for direct loans to fund some or all of your costs associated with studying in the UK. Please visit our US Aid website for more information on how to apply.


EU students new to the UK and with no access to SFE funding, can explore what the FINS private student loan scheme has on offer to help fund studies in the UK. Visit our website for a link to the FINS application process. 

International Scholarships

The University of Chichester’s Global Merit Scholarship is an international scholarship open to overseas students who have demonstrated merit in their academic record.  For more information visit our main website

Great Scholarship 2024

In Partnership with the British Council and the Great Britain Campaign we are offering GREAT scholarships. Visit the scholarship section on our website to view full details for this wonderful scholarship opportunity.


University of Chichester Fees, Finance, International loans and Scholarships website

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) scholarship information

Should I bring cash with me?

We recommend that you have approximately £400- £450 (GBP) cash on arrival to the UK. Do not carry more as it may get lost or stolen. It is best to open a UK bank account as soon as possible and transfer more funds electronically at a later date. It might be a good idea to bring any other money in the form of pre-paid travel cards or currency cards.

If you are planning on using a non-UK debit or credit card, please contact your bank in advance to make sure you find out whether it is possible and if there are any additional charges to be considered. Please note that the university restaurants and cafes do not accept cash payments anymore, so you will need a debit/credit etc card to make payments on campus.

How do I open a bank account in the UK?

Using a bank account is the safest and most effective way of managing your money and making or receiving payments, so you should definitely open a bank account once you arrive in the UK.

You’ll need a UK bank account for day-to-day transactions like purchases, withdrawing money and paying bills by direct debit. Opening your account may take up to three weeks, so make sure you have access to any money you’ll need during this period.

If you are on a course that lasts longer than 6 months, you can open a UK bank account when you have fully registered onto your course. Full registration means that you complete your online registration and visit student records office for an ID check (passport and visa check).

To open a bank account, you will need a letter of introduction from the university. You can print this letter via your Chiview student account, once you have fully registered onto your course. In addition to the letter, you may need your passport and your BRP (visa)/eVisa when you open your bank account. Banks will most likely recommend that you apply for an account online. 

Beware of Scams! Make sure you do your research and be mindful of scams. Check with your chosen bank about the correct website for their online application process. 

Steps you need to take to open a bank account:

1. Register onto your course online & visit registry (University House, Bishop Otter Campus) for an in-person ID check so that you are fully registered.

2. Decide which bank you would like to bank with. It is a good idea to do some research on UK banks before committing to opening an account with one of them. Some banks offer good deals while others charge high fees for international students. You should also consider how easy it is for you to visit the bank, what services they offer in the branch or online and whether there are any monthly or overdraft charges you should be aware of.

3. Log into your Chiview account > printable documents > bank letter > Add your bank’s address and print in colour.


4. Apply online or visit the bank to book an appointment. Please see above about online application process and being aware of any fraudulent websites. 

Search BePrepared

Please enter your search term below (i.e. “Visa” or “Accommodation”)